Background: Performance evaluation of accreditation schemes can improve the quality of hospital accreditation significantly. An effective accreditation system is one that performs the accreditation process properly and achieves acceptable results.
Objectives: This study aimed to design and validate the performance evaluation model of national accreditation schemes in hospitals.
Methods: This study was performed in a mixed method. The performance evaluation dimensions of the national accreditation models for hospitals were identified, classified, and modeled using the qualitative research method. The quantitative aspect of the obtained model was tested using structural equation modeling.
Results: All identified variables were classified into six dimensions including causal conditions, strategic conditions, axial phenomenon, context conditions, intermediary/interventional conditions, and consequence. The results of the quantitative part suggested that the proposed model had a good fit and its validity and reliability were confirmed.
Conclusion: The results of the present study revealed that the performance evaluation model of national accreditation schemes in hospitals had a good fit and might be used as an effective model in accreditation organizations as a roadmap to better evaluate accreditation schemes, such as those used in hospitals.
- Mardani S, Tabibi SJ, Riahi L. Relationship between safety and staff performance in hospital. Int J Hosp Res. 2013;2(4):205-14.
- Mosadeghrad AM, Akbari Sari A, Yousefinezhadi T. Evaluation of accreditation effects in hospitals. Tehran Univ Med J. 2019;76(12):804-12.
- Braithwaite J, Greenfield D, Westbrook J, Pawsey M, Westbrook M, Gibberd R, et al. Health service accreditation as a predictor of clinical and organisational performance: a blinded, random, stratified study. Qual Saf Health Care. 2010;19(1):14-21. doi: 10.1136/qshc.2009.033928. [PubMed: 20172877].
- Amerioon A, Tofighi S, Mahdavi S, Mamghani H, Mesgarpour Amiri M. Evaluation of JOC accreditation standard in a military hospital lab. Mil Med J. 2011;13(2):76-7.
- Brubakk K, Vist GE, Bukholm G, Barach P, Tjomsland O. A systematic review of hospital accreditation: the challenges of measuring complex intervention effects. BMC Health Serv Res. 2015;15(1):280. doi: 10.1186/s12913-015-0933-x. [PubMed: 26202068].
- Moradi[S1] R, Nemati A, Bahman ZN, Shokri A, Mohammadi M, Soltantajiyan A. Effect of accreditation on the health services delivering in university hospitals of Isfahan. J Healthcare Manag. 2015;6(3):67-76.
- Azami-Aghdash S, Bazargani HS, Ghasemi B, Mirzaei A, Aghaie MH. The existing barriers and infrastructures to implement accreditation from the perspective of hospitals’ managers in East Azerbaijan Hospitals: a mixed method study. Depiction Health. 2013;4(2):35-42.
- Sack C, Scherag A, Lütkes P, Günther W, Jöckel KH, Holtmann G. Is there an association between hospital accreditation and patient satisfaction with hospital care? A survey of 37 000 patients treated by 73 hospitals. Int J Qual Health Care. 2011;23(3):278-83. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzr011. [PubMed: 21515636].
- Heuer AJ. Hospital accreditation and patient satisfaction: testing the relationship. J Healthcare Qual. 2004;26(1):46-51. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-1474.2004.tb00471.x. [PubMed: 14763320].
- Fong J, Marsh GM, Stokan LA, Sang W, Vinson C, Ruhl L. Hospital quality performance report: an application of composite scoring. Am J Med Qual. 2008;23(4):287-95. doi: 10.1177/1062860608317064. [PubMed: 18658102].
- Buetow S, Wellingham J. Accreditation of general practices: challenges and lessons. Qual Saf Health Care. 2003;12(2):129-35. doi: 10.1136/qhc.12.2.129. [PubMed: 12679510].
- Sadeghi T, Gholamhoseinni N, Khoshab H, Karami M, Nouhi E, Sabzevari S. Assessment managers’ and hospital staff knowledge and attitude to accreditation. Quart J Nurs Manag. 2016;5(2):9-17. doi: 10.29252/ijnv.5.2.9.
- Tabrizi JS, Azami-Aghdash S, Abdollahi L, Daemi A, Fard KY, Valizadeh S, et al. Required infrastructures to implement accreditation in iran: the perspective of top managers of the teaching hospitals in Tabriz and Ardabil university of medical sciences. Depiction Health. 2013;4(2):29-34.
- Salmon JW, Heavens J, Lombard C, Tavrow P. Quality assurance project, the impact of accreditation on the quality of hospital care: KwaZulu-Natal Province, Republic of South Africa. Available at: URL: www.ihffih.org/Resources/Accreditation-Quality-in-hospitals/Quality-assurance-project-the-impact-of-accreditation-onthe-quality-of-hospital-care-Kwazulu-Natal-province-Republic-of-South-Africa; 2003.
- Greenfield D, Pawsey M, Naylor J, Braithwaite J. Are accreditation surveys reliable? Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2009;22(2):105-16. doi: 10.1108/09526860910944601. [PubMed: 19536962].
- Arab M, Zarei A, Hosseini M. Awareness and observation of patients' rights from the perspective of patients: a study in university hospitals in Tehran. J Sch Public Health Institute Public Health Res. 2010;8(2):77-86.
- Ramezani M, Arani LK, Abedini P. Accreditation standards of patient rights in Iranian hospital. J Med Ethics. 2010;3(10):103-25.
- Mohebbifar R, Rafiei S, Asl AM, Ranjbar M, Khodayvandi M. Association between hospital accreditation and patient satisfaction: a survey in the western province of Iran. Bangladesh J Med Sci. 2017;16(1):77-84.
- Ehlers LH, Jensen MB, Simonsen KB, Rasmussen GS, Braithwaite J. Attitudes towards accreditation among hospital employees in Denmark: a cross-sectional survey. Int J Qual Health Care. 2017;29(5):693-8. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzx090. [PubMed: 28992155].
- Almasabi M, Yang H, Thomas S. A systematic review of the association between healthcare accreditation and patient satisfaction. World Appl Sci J. 2014;31(9):1618-23. doi: 10.5829/idosi.wasj.2014.31.09.83322.
- Ghadami L, Masoudi Asl Y, Modiri M, Hesam S. The survey of effective factors on hospital accreditation scoring method in Iran. J Healthcare Manag. 2018;9(1):47-60.
- Mahmoodian S, Safaei F, Meraji M, Kimiafar K, Farsinegar N, Ghasemi R. Challenges and strengths of implementing accreditation process from health information management staff perspective. J Paramed Sci Rehabil. 2016;5(2):25-33.
- Keikavoosi Arani L, Ramezani M, AbedinSalimAbadi P. Codification of national accreditation standards for management and leadership in hospitals of Iran. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2014;24(119):194-8.
- Mosadeghrad AM, Shahebrahimi SS, Ghazanfari M. Exploring the relationship between accreditation and hospital performance: using data mining approach. J Sch Public Health Institute Public Health Res. 2018;16(1):33-50.
- Fotuhi MA, Khoshgoftar A, Bakhshande H, Karami G, Rasti Broujeni M. Evaluation of viewpoint of executive management team of hospitals of Qom province in terms of the third generation of hospital accreditation standards, 2017, (Iran). Qom Univ Med Sci J. 2018;12(5):62-70.
- Moradi R, Nemati A, Bahman ZN, Shokri A, Mohammadi M, Soltantajiyan A. Effect of accreditation on the health services delivering in university hospitals of Isfahan. J Healthcare Manag. 2015;6(3):67-76.
- Jaafaripooyan E, Mosadeghrad AM, Salarvand A. Hospital accreditation surveyors' evaluation criteria in Iran. Payavard Salamat. 2019;13(2):110-22.
- Andres EB, Song W, Song W, Johnston JM. Can hospital accreditation enhance patient experience? Longitudinal evidence from a Hong Kong hospital patient experience survey. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019;19(1):623. doi: 10.1186/s12913-019-4452-z. [PubMed: 31481058].
- Wardhani V, van Dijk JP, Utarini A. Hospitals accreditation status in Indonesia: associated with hospital characteristics, market competition intensity, and hospital performance? BMC Health Serv Res. 2019;19(1):372. doi: 10.1186/s12913-019-4187-x. [PubMed: 31185984].
- Corrêa JÉ, Turrioni JB, Mello CH, Santos AC, Da Silva CE, De Almeida FA. Development of a system measurement model of the Brazilian hospital accreditation system. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(11):2520. doi: 10.3390/ijerph15112520. [PubMed: 30423866].
- Alkhenizan A, Shaw C. Impact of accreditation on the quality of healthcare services: a systematic review of the literature. Ann Saudi Med. 2011;31(4):407-16. doi: 10.4103/0256-4947.83204. [PubMed: 21808119].